[MAP CONTEST] Fontenay-le-Pesnel Feedback Thread - APPROVED

6 years ago
Kyle_REKyle_RE Posts: 484 admin
edited September 2017 in Maps

This thread is for all feedback related to the map Fontenay-le-Pesnel as part of Relic's 2v2 Map Making Contest. This map has made by a member of the community and they would LOVE of your feedback to help them iterate on and improve their map before the next submission deadline of the contest.

To subscribe to this and all contest maps, check out the 2v2 Map Making Contest Collection on the Steam Workshop.

Comments

6 years ago

ROUND #1 REVIEW
    GOOD:
    1. Map looks good. Water is a little fast and disorienting but not a problem. It would be cool if the water could push infantry around when going this fast.

BAD:
    1. The far Left and Right hedgerows along the river are a little large and create choke points.
    2. The smaller hedgerows are not totally balanced as the south hedge has a hole in it.
    3. Fighting across the red cover river may be an issue leaving artillery and indirect fire to decide the winner. There are some good flanking areas so time will tell if this is the case.
    4. The interactivity stage has corners which will stop camera movement in odd ways when panning around that area.

POSSIBLE CHANGES:
    1. Could use some more splats/splines and possibly alpha blending on existing items.
    2. The upper fuel point area feels unfinished. Could use some hedges or posts to punch it up visually.
    3. The tank traps along the middle may hinder vehicle play. I did not have major issues but its possible and deserves a second look.
    4. Some object placements may hinder light vehicles such as the wood pile/dead truck outside the north base. Items could be moved away/close to create larger paths thru the area.

SCORE:
    8/10 - This map is very close to great. With some visual and hedgerow adjustments it could be great. Time will tell if top players veto it due to the large red cover river area.

6 years ago
    Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 299 admin
    edited September 2017

Congratulations! This map has passed Round 3 and is approved for the final iteration in Round 4.

The updated map has been added to the 2v2 Map Making Contest Collection

We encourage the community to give as much feedback as possible heading into this crucial final iteration period.

6 years ago
    Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 299 admin

FEEDBACK

Overall this is a very strong map with a careful attention taken to point balance, cover balance and pathing.

Visually the map is also very impressive.

One slight issue which we noticed is that the southern VP has a hedge that blocks the approach of units moving in from the NW. They can potentially use this slight blocker to harass and use the cut through in this hedge to good effect. The sight blockers on the opposite VP to not confer the same advantage for the opposing team.

6 years ago
    Some_Sweaty_LatvianSome_Swea… Posts: 4
    edited September 2017

The map is pretty well made and to be honest cant say much bad about it, altough i think the ammo points should be a bit closer to the center like in many other maps, the bridge on the left could maybe be put in to the map, and there could be some more balancing done around the placement of hedges.
    Balancing: 8/10
    Looks: cant judge since PC is a potato and runs only on lowest settings
    Gameplay: 8/10

6 years ago

Overall map Balance:

• I really like the map balance. I played both sides and it felt equal.

Cover balance/design:

• More face in face action and less ganking from other directions which is fine. Few houses that you can use as cover.

Balance of garisonable buildings:

• Houses are well placed and offer good protection. Few more fences and other random stuff that you can use as cover.

VP and resouorce balance/design:

• Good balance. Equal points for both sides. Lots of normal points to use as fuel or ammu deposits.

Visuals:

• Very nice countrysided map. River in the middle looks really awesome and gives the map an unique feel.

Readability/lighting:

• Nothing major I found.

Cutoff design:

• Feels authentic. Few roads and a country houses.

Infantry and vehicle pathing:

• I didn’t noticed anything major here. All my infantary was walking fine. Also vehicle pathing is fine.

Line of sight:

• Very open map, open line of sight.

Combat feel/flow:

• Nice country map, few barricades to block vehicle pathing for unique movement. Good combat flow.

General polish:

• Nothing here again that I found worth criticizing.

Overall map feel:

• The map feels fine. I played it two times and I liked it. There are lots of different strategies that you can use here.
    6 years ago

Fontenay le pesnal

• Played both sides on thsi map and it was very fair, good balance I'd say.
    • Love the windmills, assume this is Holand, but with my snipers in them never really saw any action - a bit out of the way - maybe bad luck. Would be great to see some more central or spread out - not sure that’s everyone's thing though
    • Love churches, again sniper action, wish it was on the map rather than off map
    • The chairs behind the sandbags are a laugh, nice touch
    • A few to many standard territory points for the size of the map, a little less or slightly larger map might be better suited
    • General polish on the map was top notch

Overall a brilliant map and I'd like to keep playing this one over and over

6 years ago

Another very open and flat map, just like Butgenbach Lake. Most clashes happen in the river. The middle victory point could be placed on an area that looked a bit more "important", fighting over a small island in the middle of the river feels weird.

The windmill makes it a bit difficult to navigate the southwestern area, but it's no big deal. Like most open maps, the lack of chokepoints can add to the tension and make combat flow rapidly but can also make it a bit tiresome after a few matches.

It's overall a good map to be played between more urban and cluttered ones for a change of pace.

6 years ago

A beautiful, chilling map of a battle ravaged countryside, with craters and tank wrecks all over the small river, though strangely, the buildings nearby seem to be completely intact and in full health despite the settings, which may seem a bit weird, especially where the windmill is situated so closely to the multiple destroyed tank wrecks that indicated there was a violent battle before, it should have at least taken a bit of dent.

Balance is done very well, my only main gripe is that player 3,4 on the top side gets too many large buildings and green cover sandbags that favor them at the frontlines, player 1,2's side don't get as much benefit and makes them at a disadvantage at holding the middle frontlines. I would say either reduce the health points of those buildings at the middle of the map, or mirror/relocate them so that they don't give any side a noticeable early advantage.

Other than that, this map is done spectacularly with decent balance, and I would enjoy playing it regularly with some friends.

6 years ago
    SethKSethK Posts: 2

Looking for a map maker, any takers?