[MAP CONTEST] Normandy Feedback Thread

6 years ago
Kyle_REKyle_RE Posts: 484 admin

This thread is for all feedback related to the map "Normandy" as part of Relic's 2v2 Map Making Contest. This map has made by a member of the community and they would LOVE of your feedback to help them iterate on and improve their map before the next submission deadline of the contest.

To subscribe to this and all contest maps, check out the 2v2 Map Making Contest Collection on the Steam Workshop.

Comments

6 years ago

ROUND #1 REVIEW
    GOOD:
    1. Beautiful map. Very detailed industrial layout.
    2. Interesting FX markers with multi-color smoke, etc.

BAD:
    1. All three VP points are too close together in the middle of the map. This will let mortar decide who wins the match. The Fuels and VPs will need to be swapped for competitive play. Personally, I like the idea of the VP locations, since it will draw major engagements to the center. But indirect fire should not decide who was the better team for automatch.
    2. Are there multiple water sources? Will this be an issue?
    3. Base defenses could be better. It is possible to shoot into the base without being shot back at.
    4. There is a lot of RED cover due to the many road splines. This may deter players and get vetoes. Bryansk is a decent new map that has a lot of RED cover and it gets a lot of hate for this reason. There are many cover objects in this map so it may not be an issue. Top level play testing will be needed. Such a nice looking map it would be a waste to have it get vetoed.

POSSIBLE CHANGES:
    1. Could make the lower western base exit large enough for vehicles. It is probably intended to be small. Just an option. Its mirrored exit is larger.
    2. Some of the road splines could be blended better. Opacity could be reduced and few splats to touch them up. Judging by the quality of the rest of the map I assume this will be done by round #2.
    3. I did not see any cutoffs on this map. Maybe I just missed it, I have poor vision :p

SCORE:
    8/10 - This map is very nice looking. The major issues are easily fixable and I am looking forward to the next revision. At this point in the contest (#1) the two standouts for industrial are Normandy and South Orkney. I cant wait to see some high level play testing on these two maps.

6 years ago
    Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 299 admin

Congratulations! This map has passed Round 3 and is approved for the final iteration in Round 4.

The updated map has been added to the 2v2 Map Making Contest Collection.

We encourage the community to give as much feedback as possible heading into this crucial final iteration period.

6 years ago
    edited September 2017

RELIC FEEDBACK - Please seek additional feedback and validation from the community.

Firstly this map is incredibly well presented.

The designer has done a great job of properly balancing the map while still making it feel authentic.

It will be interesting to see how the community feels about the fairly centralized VP placement. A fairly forward placed Mortar Pit allows good coverage of two VPs + one fuel, while a rearward pit allows coverage of two VPs. We enjoyed the map layout as is, and don't feel it was an issue, but it is worth seeking further validation from the community.

6 years ago

Normandy

• Fantastic map! The railway down the middle just plays so well, a halfway point, a no mans zone, I adore these kinds of maps.
    • I like the nice tightly packed victory points, its great for me a casual and somewhat lazy player. Hate having to run miles to one little VP right over on the edge :)
    • Love the little details like the sewer on the west (I think) side of the map - the ambience and detail is what I keep coming back for, enjoying the little things like this that add to the feel and immersion.
    • There are odd red splotches by the smouldering tank near the central VP, are these intentional? Seem out of place to me

Overall, brilliant map - I can't find much to improve here

6 years ago

Normandy
    Good.
    1. Good use of light cover
    2. Roads allow for a quick traverse of the map
    3. Many places to hide units i.e. AT Guns or tanks for ambush
    4. The map is reasonably well sized allowing for units to move relatively easily
    5. The roads can be easily blocked with mines or tank traps creating choke points

Bad.
    1.The buildings are somwhat unimportant due to positioning and health
    2.The distant locations of fuel points mean that little fighting is actually done there

6 years ago
    OneGalaxyOneGalaxy Posts: 3
    edited October 2017

Normandy

GOOD
    1. few garisonable buildings. Of the buildings that are garisonable are on low health
    2. roads allow for quick travel around the map
    3. plenty of light cover that can be utilised throughout the map
    4. sight lines are restricted due to walls and buildings

BAD
    1. very easy to flank enemy capture points and catch enemy troops off guard in the early game which can then damage there late game potential
    2. too easy to cut off enemy supplies. i believe it should be a little harder to cut off the enemy supplies in this map
    3. some locations are very open and could use some more light cover or buildings

MISCELLANEOUS
    1. very symmetrical with its point layouts however landscape is not symmetrical

6 years ago

A very solidly designed map but I personally feel that it lacks certain geometry scenery or I guess charm that makes it stand out from the others.

I do think this map is very balanced however, with only a few places that could be improved, there do seem to be slightly more green covers for player 3,4(right team) at the middle, while the certain particular green covers for left team is blocked by trees and bushes, making them mostly useless, they are also smaller and doesn't fit in as many squads.

Many buildings that cover vital resource points are of too low health to even be of any use even at early stages, but I guess that is fine because not everybody like maps full of garrison-able buildings, plus they add into the scenery.

I play annihilation mostly and I feel that player 3/4 have a sliiiight edge on defense, the water reservoirs on the right side of the map blocks invaders and funnels them into concentrated attack, and due to the sometimes questionable pathing of vehicles in the game, could cause some frustrations, by contrast, the left team do not have this problem.

There's also a tiny blind spot on player 3's default base defenses, the top machine gun emplacement do not cover the gap between the containers at the upper right corner of the map, this could pose a potential early harassment issue in pvp games.

6 years ago

Congratulations again on making the final cut in the 2v2 Map Making Contest! All of the maps that remain are of an extremely high quality, and we would again like to thank all map makers for their time and talent.

Our Relic Map Judge has provided some additional feedback below for your consideration. This feedback is intended for integration purposes after the conclusion of the Map Contest, should this map be selected for inclusion in game.

• Some tight pathing for light vehicles
    • There’s an infantry only path near the north-east base where as the south-west base has a vehicle path
    • A lot of negative cover roads
    • Lots of little water sets around the south-west base add more negative cover
    • Group up similar crush type objects
    • I like the spread of key points, but I feel that the Victory Points may be too close to each other in a straight line. Might be worth favouring two of the Victory Points to a base to add a bit more distance and dynamic gameplay