[Improving USF Teching] [USF]

2 years ago

Howdy people.

Its been ages since ive posted, ive just got back into playing coh2 again after a long time away so im a bit rusty and tryin to play catch up with the new meta.

Ive got some ideas for diversifying USF tech structure which might be fun to test in a mod or beta at some point to see how it would work.

[Problem]

USF tech structure is too predictable and prohibitive, and lacks non doctrinal units which are essential. In short I think it relies way too much on commander choice to fill in gaps in the roster.

[Solution]

1. Add pathfinders and the At gun to the HQ, unlock these by getting your first tech up (either CAP or LT). This would serve to diversify build roster and stop tech options being prohibitive.

2. M20 should be unlocked after purchasing the LT without needing the Mechanised Platoon upgrade. Also M20 should have side skirts included as standard ensuring parity with how the Wehr 222 was patched.

3. Reduce the cost of the stuart by 5-10 fuel perhaps? This way it would have a slightly longer operational window rather than the 60 -90 seconds it currently has.

4. Move the M8 Howizer Motor carriage to CAP. This would allow for a more diverse roster and cement the role of the CAP as a support role tech choice.

5.Add a new mobile artillery unit to the Major, perhaps a M12 gun motor carriage unit. This would provide USF with non doctrinal mobile artillery.

6.Add a SSF (special service force) elite infantry unit to Major. This unit would serve as non doctrinal parity to Wehr Pgrens/ storm troops and OKW Obers/faljirms.

1. Remove the fuel and MP cost for weapon racks and lock them behind LT or Cap tech.

This should diversify USF build roster and teching, and allow for better utility of units, build timing, and strategy. Currently the existing tech structure feels too prohibitive compared to axis and other allied factions. Teching should not pidgeon hole a player and delay or deny diverse strategies.

Open to feedback, not looking to make USF super OP. I just wanted to voice some ideas to give USF greater parity with other factions whilst retaining its unique flavour.

Thoughts? Too unbalanced? Useful?

Thanks,

Dorn

Comments

2 years ago
    C3ToothC3Tooth Posts: 921
    edited April 2021

As former USF main. What I dont like is they getting double squad from both tech, while unit diversity is too low.

HQ: RM, Rear, Mortar, Ambu
    Platoon: **Lieu, MG
    **--Mecha Platoon:
    M20, Stuart
    Company: Cap, ATgun
    --Mecha Company: Supportgun, AAHT

I would change it like this
    Platoon: M20, MG
    --Mecha Platoon: Lieu, Stuart
    Company: Supportgun, ATgun
    --Mecha Company: Cap, AAHT
    Battalion: (90fuel) Carrier, Sherman
    --Mecha Batta: (30fuel) Major, Jackson

Lieu, Cap, Major are no more free squad, now they have to be purchased.
    Lieu (400mp): has Double Zook by default
    Cap (400mp): has Double Bar by default
    Major keep the same price.

2 years ago

@C3Tooth said:
    As former USF main. What I dont like is they getting double squad from both tech, while unit diversity is too low.

Platoon: **Lieu, MG
    **--Mecha Platoon:
    M20, Stuart
    Company: Cap, ATgun
    --Mecha Company: Supportgun, AAHT

I would change it like this
    Platoon: M20, MG
    --Mecha Platoon: Lieu, Stuart
    Company: Supportgun, ATgun
    --Mecha Company: Cap, AAHT
    Battalion: (90fuel) Carrier, Sherman
    --Mecha Batta: (30fuel) Major, Jackson

Lieu, Cap, Major are no more free squad, now they have to be purchased.
    Lieu (400mp): has Double Zook by default
    Cap (400mp): has Double Bar by default
    Major keep the same price.

The problem with current USf tech is that it is slow, delayed, and completely predictable, and it lacks a diverse roster of units which limits your strategic options. Having to pay for grenade tech, and weapon racks, and having any light vehicals locked behind a secondary paywall slows down teching so much... i mean the time it takes to unlock both LT and CAP just to have access to basic stuff like a hmg and AT.... its just not competitive. It just serves to snowball and delay your medium tanks, whereby the sherman is outclassed by p4s which arrive before it, and gun motor carriage is already obsolete. Also complete lack of stock artillery or elite troops?

Making the LT and CAP cost more is not the answer i believe... and it just serves to slow down teching further. Instead the CAP and LT could be seperated from the teching requirements and be called in like other units, eqipped with one bar and zook as standard.

2 years ago

@FIST_0F_DORN
    With 35fuel for 1st tech (Platoon or Company), you can almost able to tech it at 3min, for 2 more units (that not Lieu & Cap in my suggestion). Axis requires 60fuel for mid game tech. The time is ~2-3min apart.
    You have: RM, Rear, Mortar, Ambu, M20, MG or RM, Rear, Mortar, Ambu, Supportgun, ATgun

Currently teching time is so slow because USF doesnt hurt building unit by teching. Ost teching will pause MG42. Beside, with free squad coming after tech, USF deserve to have slow teching time. But for my suggestion, it can be fixed by decrease tech time. Since USF no more have free squad.

Making the LT and CAP cost more is not the answer i believe

Lieu & Cap was never on the same match back then (when each of them were 50-60fuel). I feel cost more doesnt matter since they're literary a Riflemen who carry 2 Zook/Bar. 120mp more is much cheaper than 120ammo.
    AAHT & Stuart never delayed anyway.
    Lieu & Cap were took away their Bar/Zook because of their incredible early time (35fuel tech). Which is why I want to push them further behind tech so they can be cheap & powerful.

delay your medium tanks, whereby the sherman is outclassed by p4s which arrive before it,

I split up Battalion into 2 parts, where you pay 30fuel less for first Sherman. If you dont upgrade grenade or ammo. Your first Sherman comes 55fuel earlier.

2 years ago

@C3Tooth said:
    @FIST_0F_DORN
    With 35fuel for 1st tech (Platoon or Company), you can almost able to tech it at 3min, for 2 more units (that not Lieu & Cap in my suggestion). Axis requires 60fuel for mid game tech. The time is ~2-3min apart.
    You have: RM, Rear, Mortar, Ambu, M20, MG or RM, Rear, Mortar, Ambu, Supportgun, ATgun

Currently teching time is so slow because USF doesnt hurt building unit by teching. Ost teching will pause MG42. Beside, with free squad coming after tech, USF deserve to have slow teching time. But for my suggestion, it can be fixed by decrease tech time. Since USF no more have free squad.

Making the LT and CAP cost more is not the answer i believe

Lieu & Cap was never on the same match back then (when each of them were 50-60fuel). I feel cost more doesnt matter since they're literary a Riflemen who carry 2 Zook/Bar. 120mp more is much cheaper than 120ammo.
    AAHT & Stuart never delayed anyway.
    Lieu & Cap were took away their Bar/Zook because of their incredible early time (35fuel tech). Which is why I want to push them further behind tech so they can be cheap & powerful.

delay your medium tanks, whereby the sherman is outclassed by p4s which arrive before it,

I split up Battalion into 2 parts, where you pay 30fuel less for first Sherman. If you dont upgrade grenade or ammo. Your first Sherman comes 55fuel earlier.

The LT upgrade is really slow, and to access light vehicals its even slower compared to axis counter parts. Wehr have everything they need in thier tool box for a diverse roster almost from game start which actually requires alot less micro because of a diverse infantry build and light vehicals availible early on. Including fast access to the best hmg in the game. The hmg is not delayed if its rushed first.

The key problems i have are how long it takes for usf to be able to access basic units to fill out their roster. If you want acess to both HMGs and AT guns which are vital parts of a combined arms army, it massively delays your access to tanks. a 70 fuel cost and 600 mp cost just for access to basic parts of an army? without any access to light vehicals or support units? The officers themselves dont scale that well to justify the cost of delayed teching.

By the time you access LT or CAP your opponant already has all the units they need to counter them, as its blatently obvious what you are going for once they see the officer.

I agree LT and captain tech time reduction is warrented, apart from that Im not really sure what you are trying to say? mayby im missing the point of your argument?

2 years ago

Yes. Absolutely missing everything.
    I was explaining why my tech may work. You were keeping mention about the current tech.