Commander Patch - Tanks (Heavy) Suggestion

4 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just found out a solution that might seem irrational to some, but hear me out first... Its purpose is not generalization or standardization, its more of an lategame opener into more tactics and adjustments, for both sides of the game... Alongside it, this might even input a more tactical approach to picking Commanders (opening more options for some that were unplayable but provided alot of utility, but no lategame heavy tank).

My suggestion is simple... Why don't we make all nations have their doctorinal heavy tank (aside OKW Tiger 2 which is called in without a specific commander needed) an actual regular unit for them? Especially since it takes in the commander preview mod 11 CP to even be able to consider it as an option, and demands will be to have all, and literally ALL tech unlocked?

SUGGESTION

USF

Pershing Tank

• Unlocked after ALL lieutenant and captain research has been unlocked, alongside Mechanized officer

WEHRMACHT

Tiger Tank

• Unlocked after all tier upgrades researched and all structures erected
  • In case of elite Tiger, Commanders possessing such an upgraded version, give regular Tiger an ammo cost upgrade to turn it into Elite version, once purchased (granting also +1 veterancy, but resetting any gained beforehand)

OBERKOMMANDO WEST

Remains unchanged
In case of Tiger 1 command tank variant, enables the purchase of both (similiar to the returning change of having both Sturmtiger and Tiger 2 ability on field)

SOVIET UNION

IS 2 Tank or KV-2

• After all buildings have been constructed and final tier erected, IS 2/KV 2 becomes available (alongside 11 CP requirement)

UKF - BRITISH FORCES

Prototype Black Prince

• Now I know this might sound odd, but reason why I suggest Black Prince is that, it is still tehnically a Churchill Tank with a bigger gun and some hull adjustments (so not much model reworking would be necessary)
  • Suggestion of such a new unit is I know, not always welcomed, and also some might disagree that Brits need another tank, but exactly for that matter, they do... Having 1 Specialized elite tank that would drain your fuel reserves for a final push, as if you brought a heavy Churchill for a spearhead on fortified position, is essencial for such mechanic, while as well having solid AT specialities
  • My suggestion would be Shell Changing* for specialization
  • Requirement: All Tiers unlocked, Anvil/Hammer decision + Bofors/AEC unlock (+11 CP) = Tehnically Full Lategame unlock as well

All these tanks are limited to 1 on battlefield per player, and adding them into the fray, rather than making heavies of such a commander specific thing, we are opening more commander options for more Gamemode Variants... You would not be restricted to having hard focus Heavies on Team gamemodes, and having early midgame openers on 1v1 or 2v2 priorities...
This idea also does not disconclude the AVRE, ISU, FERDINAND,JAGTIGER,SEXTONS etc... Which will still remain Commander Choice tanks, but since they have such specialized spot in which you have desire to play them, they should remain Commander specific units, rather than regular High tier units.

For example, if this idea does get implemented, and I believe it would influence lategame gameplay quite nicely and a lot of other rush tech decision mechanics will be nulified (same what goes for commander patch preview ideas, that people will need to use mediums and utilize some things that are almost mythical on how unseen they are on battlefield), gameplay and commanders would be able to implement much more various additions for their picks and call outs.

Here are some examples (for replacements of their Heavy call ins):

Wehrmacht
Assault Support Doctorine - LeFH 18
Mechanized Assault Doctorine - Close Air support
Spearhead Doctorine - Assault and Hold
Lighting War Doctorine - Smoke Dischargers

**Soviet **
Regarding the decision made, tank commander would get replacement

USF
Heavy Cavalry Company - I don't think that there is anything more subjective to add to this company, since it needs something to work with its mechanized mechanic... So I would either suggest Easy Eight / M4A3 76. or in case he should be made a spearhead cavalry type, Calliope

These are my suggestions that would solve a lot of lategame spike, and reduce the egoistic necessity for certain commanders to be played (ONLY viability*) alongside already moderating changes for Lategame rush players, so they have CP requirements and mediums usage during mid game tier (this idea is being personally developed in accordance to current commander preview mod changes), while opening more variants to commander choices rather than blunt (I WANT HEAVY TANK) decision makers.

Thank you all who got to the bottom of reading this, and I hope you enjoyed it (and that this hopefully gets implemented) :)

Comments

4 years ago
    MorisMoris Posts: 77
    edited March 2020

My opinion is that a heavy tank should be a rarity on the battlefield, and not ordinary as it is now. I would really like to see a larger number of medium tanks on the battlefield. It is sad that people are sitting and waiting for their "monster". I understand that controlling one unit is simple and convenient, but it looks pathetic. The OKW faction is intended for beginners who are not able to play a large number of different units, so all OKW units occupy a large limit, including the Tiger2 available to them. If all factions accept the OKW design, the game will become miserable.

4 years ago
    C3ToothC3Tooth Posts: 921

I agree, I wish to see the combined arm fight between Medium tank, like T34,SU76,SU85 vs Pz4,Stug,Ost. Now we only see Panther vs TD, or Heavies vs Heavies

3 years ago
    FaxFax Posts: 96

@Moris said:
    My opinion is that a heavy tank should be a rarity on the battlefield, and not ordinary as it is now. I would really like to see a larger number of medium tanks on the battlefield. It is sad that people are sitting and waiting for their "monster". I understand that controlling one unit is simple and convenient, but it looks pathetic. The OKW faction is intended for beginners who are not able to play a large number of different units, so all OKW units occupy a large limit, including the Tiger2 available to them. If all factions accept the OKW design, the game will become miserable.

@C3Tooth said:
    I agree, I wish to see the combined arm fight between Medium tank, like T34,SU76,SU85 vs Pz4,Stug,Ost. Now we only see Panther vs TD, or Heavies vs Heavies

Totally agree with these

3 years ago

I mean what's the purpose of any tactical value if just tech rushing into units that can take more shells and be more simple to manage are called skill plays?

I Agree with BOTH of your statements @C3Tooth and @Moris since there is a whole definition to a Tech tree and mechanics behind it that should work on supporting variety and tactics, not just 1 person going spam 1 thing, into spam 2nd, and then get Tiger (or any heavy, but axis ones are really OP)and hur hur I'm so smart and good...

Tech rushing should remain a VIABLE strategy, but like in every, and I mean LITERALLY EVERY RTS game, Tech Rushing should be more punishable, and not so easily given out and EVEN THEN, mistakes with it SO FORGIVABLE...

Combined Arms, Tactics, Traps and general strategizing part is slowly getting ruined by this bs :smile:

3 years ago

Also, regarding the already posted suggestions above on Heavy Suggestions, American Tech Tree is Really BARREN of any trucks (M5 or M3) while they made extreme usage of them. aside all other allied nations who were taking them by lends lease...

A side note, I highly oppose the existence of any tank to have capability to withstand 6+ Shells of AT gun that penetrate... This number of shells survived is quite big on its own, but anything above that number is just too forgiving and intentionally game ruining on ANY NATION and ANY TANK (since bounces and misses also exist), alongside being historically innacurate (I can understand that his game is NOT MEANT to be historically accurate on every regard, but there are some limits to what is fair and what is not).

3 years ago
    AnyamaruAnyamaru Posts: 4

Your suggestion is interesting.
    I agree.
    Your proposal is a good proposal that will give more options to all troops

I thought it was unfair that only Tiger 2 could produce without a commander.
    For example, if ML-20 is produced, KV2 and IS2 cannot be produced.
    Even if OKW produces leFH, Tiger 2 can produce it.
    It's too strong that Tiger 2 can be matched to any commander.
    So it is very good that all the army can put out heavy tanks without commander

I am weak in English
    This is Google Translate